We built a really big photo + video studio at our Corktown HQ.
We call it Hyperspace.
It’s like “back a bus in” big. Believe us, we’ve done it.
Space is everything. Space lets you dream big. The problem with keeping a personal studio is the cost involved for something you’ll use a couple times a month. On the other end of the spectrum, typical commercial rental studios are far away in the suburbs, inaccessible to most creative professionals and just not very fun. Who has $2,500 for a day shoot? Not me.
Welcome to Hyperspace.
We finally made it affordable for you to rent a studio in Detroit. Hyperspace exists to give you the space you need to do your best work when you need it. Attractively priced, available 7 days a week and bookable completely from your phone or computer. Work somewhere awesome and do cool stuff.
- Hyperspace is located within our 14,000 sq/ft depot in the heart of Corktown, Detroit.
- The studio is 40 feet wide, 30 feet deep and 16 feet tall. It has a 4 foot radius and is painted dead flat white after each shoot. We can paint it other colors on request but that’s pretty expensive.
- Each rental includes:
- An on-site facility manager who knows the ins and outs of the space
- Three accessible ground-level 20-amp 120v circuits
- Giant clean and air conditioned conference room space with small private side room.
- Four truss-level 20-amp 120v circuits
- A huge 14-foot wide by 16-foot deep roll-up garage door directly into the space
- Clothing racks
- Clothing steamer (Jiffy J-2000)
- High speed fiber gigabit WiFi
- Hyperspace is rented in half day (5 hour) and full day (10 hour) segments only.
- A half day (5 hours) is $275 and a full day (10 hours) is $450. We have an overtime rate of $75/per hour if booked ahead of time and $150/hour if not pre-planned.
- A full day is generally 8AM – 6PM. A half day is typically either 8AM – 1PM, 1PM – 6PM or 6PM – 11PM. We’re flexible.
- We will always provide you with a clean, white studio. If it gets marked up during your shoot, no problem! We repaint it at a rate of $35/gallon and $50/hour for labor. Most shoots require about $100-125 in painting. We’ll provide shoe covers and cargo blankets if you’d like to reduce this cost.
- We have some equipment like a man-lift that we rent out per request.
- We don’t currently offer any lighting or grip equipment. This allows us to keep our rates low.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Do you have any lighting or other equipment available for rent?
A: Nope! We don’t keep any lighting on hand because we wanted to keep the rate as low as possible. We suggest checking out DPL for rentals. We do have a large electric man-lift available for rent. If there is equipment you believe we should carry, reach out to us!
Q: The floor looks kinda dirty in photos. Is the studio painted?
A: The studio is painted fresh by us before each use. Since the studio is a flat white surface, it gets dirty sometimes as people walk on it. We supply cargo blankets and a couple pairs of shoe covers for every shoot to keep the studio clean. If the studio is not clean following your shoot, you’re responsible for labor and materials to make it clean white again. Paint charges are $35/gallon and labor is $50/hour. Usually it’s about $100-125 to repaint.
Q: I want to shoot a car in the space. Do you allow cars?
A: We do allow cars and have a giant door to let you in. This studio was actually built to shoot cars.
Q: I only 5 and 10 hour rates. Do you offer any other rates?
A: Nope. Those are the rates we offer because of the work required each shoot to paint and reset the space. Overtime is billed at $75/hour for planned overtime. Unplanned overtime is billed at $150/hour because we want you to be on time for the sake of other shooters.
Q: Why do I have to call/email The Detroit Bus Company for support? How are they involved?
A: “They” is actually “us.” This studio is a project of The Detroit Bus Company. We built it because we know Detroiters need affordable access to a studio space to make content for a whole host of reasons. We looked around and didn’t see one that we liked so we built our own.
Q: Can I rent this space for events like a wedding reception, meeting space or rock show?
A: Absolutely my dude. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s talk! FYI: Event rental rates are way different than studio rates because of what’s involved.