In most of the books I’ve read about startups and small business, the one thing they repeat in nearly in all of them is to talk to your customer frequently, find out what they need and deliver that. If you keep talking to people, you’ll make your service better and better.
With that in mind, I’d like to hear your feedback on an idea we’ve been developing for a while. We’ve realized that the “designing exceptional experiences” thing is always easier and more fun when you’re involved.
We want to start a Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour similar to what runs in other major cities. The basic idea is our buses would run in a continuous loop through all of Detroit’s major neighborhoods. Riders would buy one pass to last them all day. They can get on and off the bus as frequently as they like so people can make their own itinerary. Each bus would be staffed with a knowledgeable tour guide sharing with you the meaning behind the locations as they go by and what guests should think about doing.
Our guided 4 hour experiences are great, but it’s our assumption that in coming years people will want to discover the city on their own accord and getting between neighborhoods with useful information and storytelling at your disposal is critical. We’d supply guests with an Adventure Kit jammed packed full of useful information on things to do, discounts for neighborhood businesses and helpful resources in case they get stuck or lost.
We love public transit and we love getting to tell the story of Detroit, so this does both! It’s our mission to make public transit better for Detroiters which we do through our Ride for Ride program, where we give a Detroit kid a safe ride to school or after school program for every tour ticket sold. That mission would extend to this service. Meanwhile, folks living around or visiting Detroit will have a fun new way to go experience the whole city without being confined to a single central neighborhood.
Most major cities have a great Hop-on Hop-off bus tour that allows tourists and locals alike to get around without needing to rent a car or take Lyft everywhere.
There are about a million little things we are thinking about to add to this tour as it develops, but some of the quick ideas are as follows:
- Being able to buy tickets on your phone or at neighborhood pickup locations.
- Actual streetside bus stops clearly marked for boarding.
- Live GPS Tracking on all the buses (They already do this!)
- An All-Access Pass to Detroit’s cultural institutions.
- Printed informational maps available at all local area businesses.
- Audio story experiences on your phone at select stops about local history.
- Express buses from suburban pickup locations so people can get down to the city and back without a car.
- Bike racks on the buses!
- WiFi on the buses.
- Additional walking and bike tours that leave from some of the bus stops.
We value your feedback very highly! There is a lot of work to be done with this, but here’s the four main points of feedback we need. Either comment on this post below, comment on our Facebook thread or send us an email to email@example.com with your answers, please!
- Would this be something you’d use?
- Would this be something you’d recommend to people if it was fun?
- What issues do you see with this idea?
- Where should the route go?
- How can we make this idea better?
Thank you for your help! We’re excited to make this a reality!
PSST! Interested in:
sponsoring this tour? firstname.lastname@example.org
having your organization partner with us about this tour? email@example.com
investing in this tour experience financially? firstname.lastname@example.org
working with us for a career? Click here.
other tours we offer? Click here.